Monday, October 22, 2007

Movie: Grindhouse – Planet Terror and Death Proof by Mr. Piggy

Goddam! Just finished watching part 1 and part 2 and let me tell you, if this was a friendly challenge between Rodriguez and Tarantino, then Tarantino beat Rodriguez by a big fat margin…

First up, planet terror. Here, master Rodriguez (of El Desperado, and the colossal Sin City) basically paid tribute to most B-rated zombie movies made during the 60’s and 70’s in the USA. You got it all, virus outbreak, zombie city, shady military wing, sexy girls, kung fu expert hero, all that with a cherry on top: bad quality film, unexpected dialogs and twirly script.

I really enjoyed watching this movie, it was like a study of everything a bad movie should have! It was so fucking bad that it became fucking great!
One thing I like about this director, apart from the fact that he takes the soundtracks really seriously, is his sense of humor (go watch all Desperados and you’ll understand what I mean). That sex scene with the one legged stripper…sorry, go go dancer… was off the hook. I haven’t laughed like that in a long while.
The down points: What I didn’t like perhaps was that at one point Rodriguez was pushing it a bit too far… I mean he made a real effort for the movie to look old but then stretched the end a bit too much…Specially when the hero dies (yup, just spoilt it, the hero dies hehehehehehe, at least the one you THINK is the hero).

Anyways, it’s a real fun movie. I really enjoyed it.

I’ll give a solid 7/10 lics

Now for the main dish…

Death Proof is one motherfucker of a road kill movie! This is solid shit!

First and foremost, the actors, or rather the actresses…I don’t know where the hell Tarantino found these women, but let tell you, he has an eye for talent… and another one for ass… These are some beautiful women, who can deliver strong dialog. Tarantino is, in my opinion, a great women director (Jackie brown, kill bill and now death wish).

Secondly, the dialog scenes, which is were this director truly excels. This movie is divided basically is two parts, both of which have two scenes where we get to know the characters from their own voice. And let me tell you, for a while there, I almost wished I was a hot girl… Specially the part where Jungle Julie and her friend Marcy are at the bar explaining to Butterfly what could happen if a certain poem was said in a certain way (go see the fucking movie, will you). Damn that was something.

I also love the fact that Tarantino is a master at recycling everything, from all around “Americana” music to Kurt Russell. I just fucking love it man!

Third, the missing reels touch AND THE FUCKING TRAILERS!!! Nicholas Cage as FU MANCHU MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! That one had me laughing my ass off. OHHHH and the trailer for “Thanksgiving”!! WHAT THE FUCK??!!! RE-MWAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fourth and finally, the road chase. If this movie is a tribute to something, then it’s definitely to every great road chase movie ever made!

The down points: the lapdance… If you’ve seen the movie, you’ll understand…

10/10 lics… Peeeerfection… no, really, peeeeerfection

No comments: