Monday, September 24, 2007

Music: Queensryche – Empire by Miss Wank



As I was listening to this great album, I couldn’t help feeling like I was listening to early Marillion singing Dream Theater songs... Ok so most of you will not have a clue of what I’m talking about, but picture “good Eminem” singing “good Tupac” and you’ll be very close.
Queensryche is part of a generation of metal rockers that is nearly extinct (Dream Theater being one of the few exceptions).

Empire was released in 1990 and it kinda shows.
This is not baby music, no no, these guys were part of the generation that invented metal. Long before Britney Spear’s iBelly, the iPhone or iNike’s iShoes.

The album is really great though, specially “Silent Lucidity” which basically had Dream Theater’s “Repentance” and parts of Marillion’s “Misplaced Childhood” album, written all over it (I know I keep mentioning these bands, but just keep up with me here ok?).

Metal sounded different at the time. It was considered aggressive by those time’s standards, although today bands like System of a Down would just crush their definition of metal to mashed potatoes.
What I most liked about the album though, apart from the overall cleanness of guitars and sound, were the lyrics (remember lyrics? try to listen to 99% of MTV stuff and your brain will explode…)

I do wonder though, with so much great music being released today, why the hell do I only go for the old guys? Hmm…mid life crisis alarm…

Get this album, if you like…well, guess who…

7/10 coz’ it’s “hard to chose whisky, or a wife” (Della Brown)

No comments: