Tuesday, June 22, 2010

music: Smashing Pumpkins . Mellon collie and the infinite sadness (1995)

This album is nothing short of magical, from the beautiful first track that names the album, to the radio friendly tonight, tonight with its violins and Billy Corgan’s unique voice. To one of my all time favorite songs: the wonderful 1979.

Mellon Collie will definitely take you places. In my case, it reminds me of the insecure (but free in a way that only teenagers can be) boy I used to be. 1979 in particular reminds of all the possibilities, fears and expectations I used to have as a 17/18 year old... I was a seriously fucked up kid, therefore pretty normal :)



While it is true that the track listening could have been arranged differently, and some tracks like we only come out at night kind of stand out as odd in the middle such of great tunes, this album can still be considered a classic.

Reminds me of : teenagehood, Larry Clark kids, Sofia Coppola's Virgin Suicides, having crushes on pratically every girl I met, feeling awkward afterwards :)

8/10 Smashing Pumpkins at it's best. 

No comments: