Tuesday, June 1, 2010

music: Sun Kil Moon - April (2008)

Some say that music is memory. And this concept is true in Mark Kozelek’s music and lyrics. 

While sharing his experiences in songs like Tonight In Bilbao, one cannot help but look back into the past for similar feelings of belongingness to a geographic place. 

In my case, this song reminded me of my town, Luanda, seen from the eyes of a kid on the passenger seat of my mother’s car.

I really recommend this guy's music, his voice is that of a man who has somewhat lived and is trying to look back into his past, without necessarily trying to explain it. In that sense (lyrically) his songs remind me a lot of  Leonard Cohen’s later albums.

Although not in this album, Sun Kil Moon's epic song Duk Koo Kim, is an all time favourite of mine. Read the story behind the music.


Reminds me of: Leonard Cohen's Avalanche and In my secret life, Duk Koo Kim VS Ray Mancini the fight, meeting with old friends, Jeff Buckley singing Halelujah, Dr.House

9/10 A very special album

No comments: