Wednesday, September 1, 2010

music: The XX - XX (2009)

I've been listening to this album non stop for the last week or so...

It's just great. It reminds me a lot of Depeche Mode's "Violator", one of my favourite albums ever.

The XX sound is uncomplicated and minimal.
Where they win is in all the dreamy warmness and mood they put in tracks like Shelter, my favourite Heart skipped a beat and Crystalised. It's the kind of music you can listen pretty much anywhere, in the car, with friends or alone.

The only flaw I could find was that as far as first albums go, this one is flawless...
Which of course, for a first album is great but always extremely dangerous. The pressure for an encore will be huge...

I highly recommend it.

Reminds me of: Depeche Mode's Violator, Portishead's Dummy and in some songs Dead Can Dance...Oh and I almost forgot The Joy Division.

9/10 an instant favourite.

No comments: