Thursday, May 27, 2010

music: Lenny Kravitz . mamma said (1991)

As a 14 years old kid, living and studying in a city I did not want to be in, with not that many friends and extremely bored. I relied a lot on music to dream, to experience and to lift my spirits up. Music is capable of all these things. And of many more.

Mamma said is one of these albums that held me up in this difficult period.
From what I know this album was made right after or while Kavitz was separating from his wife. And knowing that, gives, obviously, another dimension to classics such as stand by my woman.

I personally think that this album is unique in Lenny Kravitz career, in the sense that musically it’s more diverse in his otherwise almost completely rock discography. It draws form a multitude of genres, from jazz, to funk, to rock.

Reminds me of: growing up, John Legend again, High fidelity the movie, Maxwell Drowndeep hula
Released in: 1991 

8/10 a Lenny Kravitz classic.

No comments: